By Kathryn Hall | May 28, 2008
Following are photos of gravestones of our direct Hall family, taken last fall by one of my first cousins who made the trek to the North Cemetery in Somers, Connecticut to document our family. To her we are grateful.
1. Gravestone of Samuel Hall, son of Samuel Hall and Sarah Rising, b. 2 Dec 1710 in Suffield, Hartford, CT; died 5 Nov. 1790. Inscription: In memory of Samuel Hall who died Nov…
2. Gravestone of widow Hannah (Parsons) Hall, b 20 Sept. 1719 in Enfield, Hartford, CT; died 14 May 1803; m. Samuel Hall 1 Oct. 1741. Inscription: In Memory of Mrs. Hannah Hall Relect of Mr. Samuel Hall who died May 14, 1803 in her 84 year. Farewell vain world Thy joys decline…pleasures…beyond the grave.
3. Gravestone of our Commissioned Officer and Patriot of the American Revolution, Lieutenant Luke Hall, b. 4 July 1744 in Somers; d. 19 Sept 1826 in Somers at age 82. Inscription: Lieut. Luke Hall died Sept. 19, 1826,–82, Integrity, morality and social order were the practiced principles of his life.
4. Gravestone of Lt. Luke Hall’s first wife, Elizabeth (Cooley) Hall, m. 4 Jan 1770 in Somers; d. 2 Feb. 17–(age 24). Inscription: In Memory of Mrs. Elizabeth, wife of Mr. Luke Hall who died Feb 2nd..year of her age…
5. Gravestone of Lt. Luke Hall’s second wife, Martha “Molly” (Davis) Hall, b. 28 March, 1754 in Somers, CT; m. 5 Aug 1772; died 31 January 1821 at age 66, in Somers, CT. Inscription: In memory of Martha Hall, wife of Luke Hall…Jan…66
6. Gravestone of John Hall, son of Luke and Martha Hall. Inscription: In memory of Mr. John Hall son of Mr. Luke and Mrs. Martha Hall who died Nov. 14, 1814 in the 16 year.
7. Gravestone of Hannah Hall, daughter of Luke and Martha Hall, sister to John. They died 15 days apart. John was 16; Hannah was 19. One can only imagine the grief this must have brought upon Luke and Martha. Inscription: …Hannah Hall daughter of Mr. Luke and Mrs. Martha Hall…died..Nov 29, 1814…age…
There are many many more Halls buried in Somers North Cemetery. In another post I will include cousins, aunts and uncles.