By admin | January 2, 2010
Following are the details of the first three generations of my family, beginning with my earliest known ancestor, George Hall of Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. I expect that in spite of monumental efforts there will be adjustments to be made. Fortunately the fluidity of blogs allows precisely that!
Note that bold lettering of male names indicates my immediate line. The skeletal version is:
Nelson Wesley (1836-1903)
John Wesley (1860-1940)
Nelson Wesley (1921-2009)
Emphasis is on information related to direct lines.
Next posts will complete the now proven, through the science and magic of DNA testing, ancestry.
(For further information see Family Tree DNA link.)
Thank you for visiting and for whatever comments you deem worthy!
Editor’s note: for researchers still untangling the various Samuel Halls, please see the excellent post at www.fourhallcousins in Marsha Hoffman Rising’s article in National Genealogical Society Quarterly and on this blog, here. Further, recent DNA discoveries will solve this mystery and confusion once and for all. Stay tuned!
George Hall, Born c. 1603 in Devonshire, England. Died 30 October 1669 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Married Mary c. 1630 in England. Died c. 1680 (?) in Taunton, Bristol, MA. [Mary's ancestry not yet known.] It is believed George and Mary emigrated from Devonshire Co, England in 1636-37. Last will and testament of George Hall found here.
Children of George  and Mary:
vi. Mary [See Kibbe manuscript]
John  Hall (George ) Born 1640 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died 1693 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Married Hannah Penniman 4 February 1670/1 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. [VR Taunton, p. 216] Born 26 March 1648, in Braintree, Norfolk Co., MA. Died 14 April 1726 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA.
Joseph  Hall (George ). Born 1642 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died 17 April 1705, in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. (VR Taunton, p. 95) Burial 1705 in Neck of Land Cemetery. No Raynham, MA.
Neck of Land Cemetery National Register of Historic Places Site # 85001530
Joseph married Mary Bell on 19 July 1669. Born 1645 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. (VR Taunton, p. 569) Mary was the daughter of James Bell. Died 1718 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA.
Samuel  Hall (George ) Born 11 December 1644 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died 14 March 1689 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. In 1664 married Elizabeth White, daughter of Nicholas White and Susanna Humphrey, in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Elizabeth was born 9 June 1643 in Dorchester, Suffolk Co., MA. Elizabeth died in 1707 (age 63) in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA.
Children of Samuel  and Elizabeth:
John  Hall (John  George ). Born 27 June 1672 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died 1768 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA.
James  Hall (John  George ) Born 8 December 1675 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died 4 September 1735.
Jacob  Hall (John  George ) Born 14 February 1679/0 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died 1769 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA.
Joseph  Hall (Joseph  George ) Born 1694 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died 9 November 1773 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. (VR Taunton, p. 95)
Nathaniel  Hall (Joseph  George ) Born 1702 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA Died 1780 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA.
Nehemiah  Hall (Joseph  George ) Born 1704 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died 1775.
Samuel  Hall (Samuel  George ) Born 11 December 1664 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Samuel died 7 May 1733 in Enfield, CT. Married Elizabeth Bourne in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA 7 April 1686 (NGSQ 81:19) Elizabeth was born 7 April 1658. We have no death or burial records for Elizabeth to date, though we know she died before 1708, when Samuel marries Sarah Rising. [See below.]
Children of Samuel  and Elizabeth:
Notes on children from the [Kibbe manuscript [sic]]
[Roman numeralization mine for continuity. KH]
i. Elizabeth, b. Taunton March 20, 1687 m. in Suffield Sept. 15, 1714 Richard Woolworth. She joined Suffield Ch. By letter from Ch. In Taunton June 1716. See Suffield church records. This fact alone identifies the Suffield Halls as belonging to the Taunton Halls. She died in 1760. Her husband 1732. Had children.
ii. Remember b. Taunton Febry 15, 1689 m. in Suffield Apr. 24, 1712 Benj. King who removed with his father-in-law to Stafford where he died and his widow Remember m. Nov. 7 1734 Benj. Thomas of Somers.
iii. Nicholas b. Taunton Jan. 23 1690 went with his father from Suffield to Stafford and thence to Enfield near Somers line where he had an Iron Forge near what is now known as Forge Bridge. He and his son Joseph were admitted to the Somers church Jan. 3, 1742. He is mention in deeds in land records of Suffield, Stafford and Enfield. He m. twice and had several children but no descendants are now known. Most if not all his children died early. His death record is not found.
iv. Mary b. Taunton Oct. 3, 1692 m. in Suffield Nov. 29, 1716 Samuel Roe. He d. 1732.
v. Nathaniel b. Taunton May 18, 1695 m. Mable Winchell in Suffield date not found, published Dec. 9, 1716. She d. June 8, 1768, had several ch. All recorded in Suffield. He was a “cordwainer”. Resided near Conn. River and near west end of present railroad bridge spanning that stream.
vi. Mehitabel b. Taunton Dec. 1, 1697. No record further.
vii. Enoch b. Taunton Apr. 13, 1699 lived in Enfield. M. Martha Wright of Northfield, Mass. where records show he lived several years. Afterwards removed. Had children.
viii. Hannah b. no birth record, not known to be of this family, m. Joseph Rising, pub. Sept. 5, 1729 in Suffield and lived there.
xi. Ichabod b. no birth record, may not belong to this family m. Enfield June 25, 1730 Lois Kibbe of Enfield, had a numerous family and many descendants. He moved to Vermont or New Hampshire in middle life.
[Note in margin says, “not in Taunton list with others”, beside Hannah and Ichabod.]
Samuel  marries (2) Sarah Rising in 1708 in Suffield, Hartford, CT. Sarah was born 15 November 1685 in Suffield, Hartford, CT. She was the daughter of John Rising and Sarah Hale.
Children of Samuel  and Sarah:
vi. Eunice [Abigail and Eunice were twins.]
Notes on children:
i. Sarah Hall, b. 3 Oct 1709, Suffield, Hartford Co., CT. Marries Jeremiah Markham. Sarah dies 30 March 1787 in Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT.
ii. Samuel Hall, b. 2 Dec 1710, Suffield, Hartford Co., CT. Marries Hannah Parsons 1 October 1741.
iii. Mercy Hall, b. 3 Jan 1712, Suffield, Hartford Co., CT.
iv. Bethiah Hall, b. 9 Sep 1713, Suffield, Hartford Co., CT. Marries William Holton. Bethiah dies 10 April 1773 in Northfield, Franklin Co., MA.
v. Abigail Hall, b. 28 Apr 1715, Suffield, Hartford Co., CT. Marries Samuel Hayden 17 November 1737.
vi. Eunice Hall, b. 28 Apr 1715, Suffield, Hartford Co., CT. Marries Samuel Cravath 31 October 1741.
vii. John Hall, b. 31 May 1719, Enfield, CT; m. Hannah Guild.
viii. Josiah Hall, b. 16 Mar 1722, Stafford, Hartford Co., CT; m. Sarah Bush.
ix. Charity Hall, b. 18 Aug 1723, Stafford, Hartford Co., CT; m. Isaac Davis 21 Feb. 1744/45. (Vital Statistics of Sheffield, MA Marriages 1773-1797 Vol I, p. 43) [Notes: Helped found Lee, Berkshire, MA]
Notes from Kibbe manuscript on these children follow:
Sarah b. Suffield Oct. 3, 1709, first child of second marriage (Sarah Rising)
Samuel b. Suffield Dec. 2, 1710 m. Oct. 1, 1741 Hannah Parson, said to be of Somers. He was a prominent citizen of Somers and had children.
Marcy b. Suffield June 3, 1712. From Suffield records she seemed to have lived there with her half sister Mary (Hall) Roe.
Bethia b. Suffield Sept. 9, 1713 seems from Suffield records to have been cared for by half sisters
Elizabeth Woolworth and Mary Rowe and half brother Nathaniel Hall. She m. May 25, 1736 Wm. Holten of Northfield, Mass., the home of her half brother Enoch Hall.
Abigal b. Suffield April 8, 1717. She m. in Somers Samuel Hayden of Windsor (Hayden Station) Nov. 17, 1737.
Eunice b. Suffield Apr. 8, 1717 (Twin with Abigal) m. in Somers Samuel Cravath of Middletown, Conn. Aug. 31, 1741.
John b. Stafford May 31, 1719 m. Hannah Guild of Somers, He was then of Enfield. Marriage record not. published in Enfield Feb. 25, 1741/1 pub. In Somers Feb. 28, 1741. They lived in Enfield and had children. He has been recorded among the probable children of Samuel and Sarah Hall but he was SURELY their child.
Josiah b. Stafford March 16, 1722 m. Sarah Bush of Somers.
Charity b. Stafford Aug. 18, 1723 admitted to Somers church Apr. 25, 1742.
NOTE: The above items are taken from the records indicated and are correct to the best of my knowledge and ability.
(Signed) JAMES ALLEN KIBBE,
John  Hall (Samuel  George ) Born 19 October 1666 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA (VR Taunton, p. 194) Died 1738 (?) in Norton, Bristol Co., MA. Married Esther Bell 14 December 1692 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA.
Elizabeth  Hall (Samuel  George ) Born 28 October 1670 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died 4 November 1739 in Norton, Bristol Co., MA.
Mary  Hall (Samuel  George ) Born 3 October 1672 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA.
Ebenezer  Hall (Samuel  George ) Born 19 March 1676 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died July 1747 in Falmouth, York Co., Maine. Ebenezer married Jane Bumpus 22 June 1704.
Sarah  Hall (Samuel  George ) Born 2 march 1678 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA Died Feb. 1769.
George  Hall (Samuel  George ) Born 25 January 1680/1 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Died after 1760. Burial in Layville Cemetery, Lyne, CT.
Hannah  Hall (Samuel  George ) Born 8 April 1683 in Taunton, Bristol Co., MA.
By admin | February 1, 2009
The following excerpt is from History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York by James H. Smith, published in 1880. These notes shed light not only on the religious interests of Luke Hall and his wife, Ruby (Pease) Hall and on their son, Erastus Gilbert Hall, and also provide a tiny glimpse into the general climate and concerns of the times. It is through such vehicles as these notes that we begin to shed light into the lives of our early ancestors, whereupon they begin to transcend the strictly factual data so often associated with genealogical research. KH
CHURCHES.—The First Congregational Church in Smyrna.—The first religious meetings in Smyrna were held in a school-house that stood near the site of the present Congregational church. In the year 1816 there was a powerful revival of religion in connection with these school-house meetings. Preaching was obtained for the few weeks of the revival interest. A better school-house was built in which, June 26, 1824, the First Congregational church in Smyrna was organized. The original members were as follows, viz: Marsena Allen, John Strew, Julius Wood, George J. Hammond, Chester Hammond, Elihu Pettis, Deborah Pettis, Rodger Case, Mercy Case, John Percival, Ruth Percival, John Percival, Jr., Lois Youngs, Timothy Leonard, Asenath Leonard, Satira Hammond, George Hammond, Elijah Sexton, Rhoda Sexton, Deborah F. Pettis, Fanny Hammond, Asenath Wood, Reuby Hall, Bersheba Carver, Miranda Strew and Mary Packard. These, except the last one mentioned, came from the Second Congregational church in Sherburne, located on West Hill. At the formation of the church, Rev. Samuel Manning, of Sherburne, presided as moderator, and Rev. Nathaniel Latham, of Hamilton, preached the sermon. John Percival and Timothy Leonard were chosen to serve as deacons for the first communion, and Chester Hammond was chosen clerk of the church. At the first communion season Sarah Hunt, Sally Hunt, Mary Talcott, Polly Sutliff and Hannah G. Allen were received by letter from the West Hill church. Having no minister, John Percival was chosen as standing moderator of all church meetings. All the meetings were held in the district school-house till a house of worship could be built. In August, 1826, the frame for a meeting house was raised, and the house was completed in the following year. In December, 1827, the funeral of Mr. John Munson, one of those who contributed toward the building of the house of worship, was held in the unfinished building. January 20, 1828, the house was dedicated, Rev. Lyman Rexford, of Sherburne, preaching the sermon on the occasion.
The church has numbered 521 communicants on its roll of members.
The first deacons of this church were Chester Hammond and Marsena Allen. Succeeding these were Isaac Foote, Jr., William W. Chapman, Amasa Foote, Gardiner J. Kenyon and Julius Wood.
The present deacons are Levi B. Collins and Nathaniel T. Ferris.
The following is a list of the pastors and their term of service:—
Ezra Woodworth, Aug. 1824, to May, 1825.
Luther Clark, April, 1826, to April, 1828.
Charles E. Avery, May, 1828, to Aug. 1830.
Samuel Manning, April, 1831, to Feb., 1832.
Elias Childs, Nov., 1832, to Sept., 1834.
Sidney Mills, Oct., 1834, to April, 1839.
Lemuel Pomeroy, Feb., 1840, to April, 1852.
David F. Judson, April, 1853, to May, 1857.
M. C. Bronson, Nov., 1857, to April, 1860.
Andrew Huntington, June, 1860, to Sept., 1861.
Charles Barstow, Feb., 1862, to Sept., 1862.
Archibald Crawford, Dec., 1862, to March, 1863.
John H. Nason, Oct., 1863, to March, 1866.
Seneca M. Keeler, June, 1866, to Sept., 1870.
Henry M. Grant, Nov., 1870, to Oct., 1871.
Henry Carpenter, Feb., 1872, to April, 1873.
Charles C. Johnson is the present pastor. He began his labors with this church Jan. 3d, 1874.
During the pastorate of Mr. Keeler, the society enlarged and remodeled their house of worship at a cost of $3,500. During the ministry of Mr. Grant the manse was freed from debt and presented to the society. In 1873 the society repaired and reseated their chapel. In the summer of 1879 the church edifice was thoroughly renovated, calcimined and painted. The society keep out of debt and pay their pastor’s salary promptly.
H. M. Dixon is superintendent of the Sabbath School, and has superintended a mission Sunday School at Central Smyrna for the past 25 years. Deacon N. T. Ferris is Superintendent of the South Smyrna Sabbath School. 11
Following are notes from the Minutes of the Annual Meeting by General Association of the State of New York, Presbyterian Church, September, 1865.
The General Association of the Congregational Churches of the State of New York, held its Thirty-second Annual Meeting with the Congregational Church of Oswego, commencing on Tuesday, September 19th, 1865 at 10 o’clock, A. M.
The meeting was called to order by the Register, and was organized by the choice of Rev. Milton Badger, D.D., of New York as Moderator…The Moderator opened the meeting with prayer…The Roll was made out as follows…
Delegates from Churches
Smyrna–Bro. Erastus G. Hall
Ministers Associated with General Association
J. H. Nason–ordained Sept. 10, 1862–Smyrna, Chenango Co, occupation–Stated Supply.
Report from the Oneida Association
This Association numbers, on the Annual Record, 24 Churches; two of which it is said belong not to the Accociation; and seven or eight others are without preaching; and several of them have only a nominal existence. There is not settled Pastor within the bounds of this Association.
No revivals are reported to have occurred within the Association; but the Sabbath Schools are for the most part flourishing. The Register concludes his Report thus: “War news is more attractive than any other. Efforts to relieve hardships and sufferings of our soldiers, share very general attention. Our country’s wrongs and our country’s woes, take a deep hold on the feelings of the community, and much indignation is felt at the course of treason and rebel sympathy in our midst. Yet, we expect our covenant God will bring us safely through the furnace into which we are cast, and at the termination of this struggle, we shall see religion more properous than ever.”
By admin | January 28, 2009
ERASTUS GILBERT HALL (1813-1893), Smyrna, Chenango, New York
As previously mentioned, according to The History of Chenango County by James H. Smith (1880), “Luke Hall came at an early age from Somers, Conn., and settled in the north part of the town, where his son Erastus now lives, and died there, he and his wife.”
Luke Hall was in fact one of the earliest pioneers in Smyrna (then Sherburne), before 1800, from Somers, Tolland, CT. Luke’s cousin Alpheus also migrated from Somers to Smyrna before 1800. In the 1800 census for Sherburne we have living side by side:
Samuel Hall 1 m 16-25, 1 m 45 and over, 1 f 10-15 and 1 f 45 and over
Moses Hall 1 m 0-9, 1 m 26-45, 2 f 0-9, 1 f 26-44
Luke Hall 1 m 0-9, 1 m 26-44 *
Alpheus Hall 1 m 10-15, 1 m 26-44, 3 f 0-9, 1 f 10-15, 1 f 26-44
Erastus Gilbert Hall was born in 1813 in Smyrna, Chenango, NY. He is the son of Luke Hall and Ruby Pease, who were married 8 Jan 1795 in Somers, Tolland, CT. He is the grandson of Luke Hall and Martha Davis. He is is the ggrandson of Samuel Hall and Hannah Parsons who married 1 October 1741 in Hartford, CT. And he is the greatgreatgrandson of Samuel Hall and Sarah Rising, who married in Suffield, Hartford, CT in 1708. Erastus had several siblings:
Luke Hall (b. 6 July 1795);
Ruby Hall (b 14 July 1797),
Daniel Spencer Hall (in 1820 is between the ages of 10/16);
Simon Hall (one under 10 in 1820, one between 10-16 ); and
Hezekiah C. Hall, (in 1820 is under 10).
Luke, Ruby and Daniel Spencer Hall are all born in Somers, Tolland, CT. The rest of the children are all born in Smyrna, Chenango, NY.
Erastus Gilbert Hall’s baptism is listed as being in 1813 in the Old Church of the West Hill records, as are the baptisms of his brother, Daniel Spencer; and his brother Simon, 12 August 1804; and his sister, Fanny, also on 12 August 1804. Father Luke Hall is listed as a member of the [Church] Society and Rheuby [Ruby] Hall is listed as a member of the Church.
Erastus Gilbert Hall is listed in the Smyrna Business Directory of 1869-70 as a dairyman and a farmer. Erastus marries Mehittable “Hitty” Orinda Tobey. Hitty is the daughter of John Pope Tobey and Temperance Wing. Hitty has several siblings:
Elizabeth “Eliza” A. Tobey (b. 15 Oct 1816; d. 31 Jan 1855);
John P. Tobey (b. 13 Jan 1821);
Edmund P. Tobey (b. 25 Dec 1822; d. 30 Mar 1871);
Betsey Tobey (b. 11 Jan 1825);
Persus Tobey (b. 15 Mar 1827);
Antonette Tobey (b. 17 Apr 1831).
Hitty was born 16 Dec 1818. All the children were born in Smyrna. Edmund (and his wife, Lucy) are buried in Smyrna East Cemetery in Smyrna. The Tobey family dates back to Thomas Tobey, of Sandwich, MA. who was from Wales. He was born around 1625. This is a very well-documented family.
As noted in the Hall Family Bible contributed by the Caliban family:
Children of Erastus Gilbert Hall and Hitty Orinda Tobey Hall:
Seth Everett Hall March 31st, 1845
Ester Selina Hall June 24th 1848
John Tobey Hall April 28, 1851
Harry Hamlin Hall February 23rd, 1854
Jay Gilbert Hall January 22nd, 1856
Fred Demotte Hall May 7th, 1858
Charley Hall October 18, 1862
Erastus and Hitty have a daughter, Esther S. on June 24, 1848. They have a son, Henry Hamlin Hall in 1854. Henry marries a young woman named Ella Elizabeth Lee. Ella Elizabeth Lee is born in 1859. Ella and Henry have a daughter named Alice H. Hall in 1884, who dies at age fifteen, in 1899. Henry dies this same year. Ella lives on to be about 76, outliving them by 35 years. Daughter Esther Hall is listed in Early Years in Smyrna and Our First Old Home Week by George A. Munson (Chenango Union Presses, 1905) as marrying Zanoni Boyden, and says she lived “at Preston, this county” [Chenango]. Zanoni was the son of Bradford Boyden (1824-1869). Esther was his second wife. Her first husband was a Purdy. [See marriage certificate in previous post. KH]
Erastus and Hitty also have sons
Seth Everett Hall,
John Hall and
Seth is born 31 March 1844 in Smyrna. On 3 August 1876 he marries [second wife]Fayette McNair, born 8 September 1848. Seth becomes a properous nurseryman in Cherry Valley, Illinois. He and Fayette have children
Frank and Fred.
Fayette dies 30 October 1935.
In the 1880 U. S. Census Erastus is head of household at age 67, and listed as a farmer. His father’s birthplace is listed as CT; his mother’s birthplace is listed as CT. Hitty is 62, keeping house. Hitty’s father’s birthplace is listed as CT ; her mother’s birthplace is listed as MA. Henry is a laborer, and 32. Both his mother and father are listed as having been born in NY. Esther is listed “at home” at age 26. And Ella is listed as a daughter-in-law, age 21. Both Esther and Ella’s mothers and fathers are listed as being born in NY.
Hall, Erastus G. [Gilbert] (1813-1893)
Hall, Hitty O. [Orinda] Tobey (1818-1899)
Boyden, Esther (Hall) 1848-1931
Hall, Henry H. [Hamlin] (1854-1899)
Hall, Ella (Ella Elizabeth Lee) (1859-1935)
Hall, Alice H. (1884-1899)
Ella Elizabeth Lee Hall’s obituary:
The Sherburne News
Thursday morning, Feb. 28, 1935
MRS. ELLA ELIZABETH HALL
Mrs. Ella Elizabeth Hall, widow of the late Henry H. Hall and a former resident of Sherburne, died at her home in Rutherford, N.J., on Monday, February 18, 1935. She was well known by many of the older residents of this vicinity who remember her from the days when she resided on the farm now owned by Bert Butts. Born in the town of Lebanon on March 17, 1859, she was almost 76 years of age. She was the daughter of the late James C. and Honora G. Lee. In her youth she was a teacher at Upperville and in other rural districts. She was married to Henry H. Hall, son of Erastus G. Hall on Oct. 1, 1878. In the spring of 1899 her second daughter, Alice, died and just one month later her husband also passed away. She then moved to Hamilton with her four daughters and purchased a
home on University Avenue where she lived and educated her daughters, all of whom graduated from High school and college or Normal school. In 1918, she sold her home in Hamilton and moved to New Jersey where she lived with her two daughters who are teachers in the city of Passaic.
She was a lifelong and loyal member of the Congregational Church having united with the Church in Smyrna in her youth. Possessed of a keen mind she always maintained an active interest in the community and national affairs. But her major life interest was her family. She made it her first and greatest care to rear and educate her daughters. During the years in Hamilton she was known by many Colgate boys who remember her influence with deep gratitude, boys who in the passing years have become known far and wide as men of influence and distinction. She was a member of the Browning Club and of the Child Study Club in Hamilton. Friends knew her and her family in the years she lived in Hamilton often were reminded of the story Little Women.
She is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Evan L. Wilcox and Mrs. George L. Bennett of Sherburne; Miss Helen M. Hall and Mrs. W. H. Kendall, of Rutherford, N.J.; also by five grandchildren and two nieces, Mrs. C. D. Satterlee and Mrs. Roy Bryan of Sherburne. Rev. Clifford W. Hilliker, pastor of the First Congregational Church, conducted her funeral at the Wilcox home on Thursday, February 21st and she was buried in the family plot in the Sherburne West Hill cemetery.
By admin | January 14, 2009
The following entries were found inside a Bible belonging to Erastus Gilbert Hall, born 20 May 1813, who lived in Smyrna, Chenango, New York. Erastus was the son of Luke Hall and Ruby (Pease) Hall. Erastus lived 79 years, until 5 March 1893, and is buried in West Hill Cemetery in Sherburne, Chenango County. These notes appear courtesy Mary Caliban, descendant of Erastus Gilbert Hall.
Seth Hall, Sr., son of Erastus Gilbert Hall
This photo of Seth Everett Hall, Sr. was taken in Earlville, New York.
Seth Hall, Sr. [w/?] Earlville, New York
Seth Hall, Sr. with son in law, Fred Morgan, before Fred’s shop
Fayette (McNair) Hall, second wife of Seth Hall, Sr.
Guy Hall and brother, Seth Hall, Jr., sons of Seth Hall, Sr. and Fayette (McNair) Hall
Fred and Frank Hall, sons of Seth Hall, Sr. and Fayette (McNair) Hall
Cepha Hall, daughter of Henry Hamlin Hall and Ella Elizabeth (Lee) Hall
Alice Hall, daughter of Henry Hamlin Hall and Ella Elizabeth (Lee) Hall
Clara Hall, daughter of Henry Hamlin Hall and Ella Elizabeth (Lee) Hall
Clara Hall as a young girl; daughter of Henry Hamlin Hall and Ella Elizabeth (Lee) Hall
Ruby Hall, daughter of Henry Hamlin Hall and Ella Elizabeth (Lee) Hall
I would like to imagine that Ruby was named after Ruby (Pease) Hall, her paternal greatgrandmother.
By admin | January 14, 2009
It has occurred to me that setting forth a basic migration pattern for my own Hall family, which begins with our earliest known ancestor, George Hall of Taunton, would be most appropriate and constructive. Allow me then to indulge in the briefest of posts to list the migration of my own individual family. I will refrain from adding dates at this time, as all those particulars will be spelled out in specific detailed posts as I elaborate on each generation of the family. Suffice it to say this is where they started–and where my own paternal family progressed over the last three and a half centuries.
Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts—>
Enfield and Somers, Connecticut—>
Smyrna, Chenango, New York—>
Charlestown, Portage, Ohio—>
Jamestown, Steuben, Indiana—>
Richland, DeKalb, Indiana—>
Hartwick, Osceola, Michigan—>
Montgomery Co., Kansas—>
Sutherland, Millard Co., Utah—>
Salt Lake City, Utah
By admin | January 14, 2009
Early settlers of the town of Smyrna, Chenango County, New York found in James H Smith’s History of Chenango and Madison Counties (1880) are listed below. Smyrna was formed from Sherburne first as Stafford, March 25, 1808, and its name was changed to Smyrna on April 6, 1808.
It is noteworthy that one of the first settlers listed is Joseph Tobey who arrives in Smyrna in 1792. Mehitable “Hitty” Orinda Tobey later marries Erastust Gilbert Hall, son of Luke Hall, of Somers.
first settler-Joseph PORTER, Conway, Mass
second-Joseph TOBEY, native of Conway, Mass
David WILBUR (now WILBER), Nine Partners, Dutchess Co.,
Joseph COLLINS, Somers, Tolland, Co., Conn, and
Joseph BILLINGS, Somers, Tolland Co., Conn
Hopson WILLCOX & son, Lillibridge, Exeter, R.I.
Hon. Isaac FOOTE, born Colchester, Conn; Stafford, Conn 1773; then Smyrna
1795 or ’6
Elijah SEXTON, born Somers, Conn
John BILLINGS, native of Stonington, Conn previous to 1800
Squire John MUNSON
Col. Solomon HALL
Luke HALL – Somers, Conn
According to History of Chenango & Madison Counties, “Luke Hall came at an early day from Somers, Conn. and settled in the north part of town, where his son Erastus now lives, and died there, he and his wife.” Luke Hall’s wife was Ruby (Pease) Hall, of Somers.
Most remarkably, a fellow researcher, and distant cousin, a descendant of Alpheus Hall, generously made the trek last year to Smyrna to photograph the old homestead of Erastus Gilbert Hall, which is still standing!
Old homestead of Erastus Gilbert Hall
Old homestead of Erastus Gilbert Hall
Old homestead of Erastus Gilbert Hall
Land at old homestead of Erastus Gilbert Hall
Barn at old homestead of Erastus Gilbert Hall
By admin | January 12, 2009
The above simple, very old gravestone has in the past been the subject of much debate between various researchers of the families descended from Edward Hall of Rehoboth and from George Hall of Taunton. Why this has been debated is a mystery when the facts are set forth, but since so much time has been spent in this circular dialogue and many words (and implications) now stand that the review of this debate deserves, indeed, requires a deeper intelligent look. This particular headstone stands in the Pleasant Street Cemetery in Raynham, Bristol County, Massachusetts.
While the stone is very old and weathered what is not disputed is that the stone bears the name Samuel Hall and the date of his death, 1716. What is in dispute is whether the stone reads “died in his 53d yr.” or “died in his 59th yr.” It would appear that reseachers who held sway that this particular Samuel Hall was a descendant of George Hall want that number to be a “3.” Those who are clear this Samuel Hall was a descendant of Edward Hall subscribe to the number being a “9″. The Number Three people obviously did not take into account Marsha Hoffman Rising’s deed sleuthing. Nevertheless. Here are the facts regarding our Samuel Hall in question.
Samuel Hall, Jun., maried to Abigaill Prat of Plimouth, 3 Jan. 1683. Jonathan, son of Samuel, borne 22 Aug. 1686. (Both entries from the Proprietor’s Records by E.H. Reed, Esq. of Taunton.) Note! It is wise to recall that in 1683 there are three Samuel Halls in Taunton, thus the ensuing debate, being:
Samuel b. 1644 (son of George)
Samuel b. 1656 (son of Edward)
Samuel b. 1664 (son of Samuel, grandson of George)
And big reminder:
Samuel b. 1644 was called Sr. due to his being the elder in town
Samuel b. 1656 was called Jr. as he was next in age
Samuel b. 1664 was called “son of Samuel”
The titles Jr. and Sr. in the 1600′s were not family-specific as it is today; it was town-specific. Without this piece of knowledge the research of these three Samuels becomes immediately murky and confusing.
7 Feb. 1686 Samuel Hall, son of Edward Hall of Rehoboth deceased, and his wife Abigail entered into a contract to sell 8 acres of land (Documentation is the copy of the deed, which was mysteriously filed ten years after the purchase.)
Will of SAMUEL HALL of Taunton, dated 21 August 1716, recorded 26 November 1716. Wife Abigail. Sons Jonathan (eldest) & Samuel (youngest). Daughters: Esther Blake & Hannah Hall (youngest). “The lad who lives with me, namely Ebenezer Pratt (under 21). “The girl who lives with me Elizabeth Pratt” (under 17). Witnesses” Abraham Jones, Samuel White & Jabez Prat (3:307/8/9) (Bristol County, MA Probate Records, Book 1)
Inventory of Estate of Samuel Hall of Taunton, who died 30 August 1716, dated 27 September 1716, presented by Jonathan Hall, eldest son & Abigail Hall, his widow. Apprs.: Henry Hodges, Samuel Leonard & Stephen Leonard (3:309/10)
Jonathan Sr. Hall, son of Samuel Sr. Hall and Abigail Pratt, was born on 22 Aug 1686 in Taunton, Bristol, MA, died on 19 Apr 1750 in Raynham, Bristol, MA at age 63, and was buried in Town Cemetery at Raynham Center (Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850, Taunton Births.
Ironically it would appear from all of the above that this documentation would appear not in the family records of the descendants of George Hall, but in the family records of the descendants of Edward Hall of Rehoboth. And I am certain they will. Unfortunately, there are researchers of the descendants of George Hall who in the past have labored over that single digit, throwing a shadow over the subjective interpretation of the 53 (or 59), thus finding further “evidence” to tangle these two families.
Note, it is my sole intention to seek only the truth of this matter. If you have further information that might shed more light on this decades old controversy, your comments will be welcomed.
By admin | September 6, 2008
As stated early on one of the challenges of sorting out the ancestors of George Hall has been to clarify the confusion created by earlier genealogists in their documentation of the descendants of Edward Hall and the descendants of George Hall who were both named Samuel. We have been indebted to the research of Marsha Hoffman Rising, who turned to land deeds, deepening her research and shedding light on this problem. Her conclusion was, “In short, the Samuel who married Abigail Pratt in 1683 was clearly the son of Edward of Rehobeth. After selling their land in 1686, the couple moved from Taunton.” Following is the deed for Samuel and Abigail Hall in full text.
Bristol Co. Northern District Registry of Deeds, Taunton, Massachusetts, Book 2, Page 35
To all Christian People before whom these presents shall come Samuel Hall Sen(e) of Taunton in the county of Bristoll in the Coloney of Newplimuth the son of Edward Hall of Rehoboth Decease and Abigaile his wife Send Greeting &c Know yee that the said Samuel Hall and Abigaile his wife; for & in Consideration of Eight acrees of land sold to the said Samuel Hall by Thomas Leonard of Taunton above said a Deed whereof they do hereby acknowledge that they have Received under the hands and seals of the said Thomas Leonard and Mary his wife, and thereof Do by these presents fully acquit and Discharge the said Thomas Leonard his heires executors, & Administrators forever by these presents, Have Given granted sold made over Confirmed and Delivered unto the said Thomas Leonard his heires and assignes for ever Eight accers of land be it be it more or less Scittuate lyeing & being and be in the town = ship of sd Taunton at a place called old Coleing which eight accers was part of a Grant from sd town to James Tesdale and was sold allso by said Tesdale with other lands to the said Hall and it was Measured and layed out to the said Leonard with and among other lands at the said old Coleing on the Southerly side of the way that leadeth between the land of said Leonard and said Hall To have and to hold the said eight accers as it is above expressed to him the said the said Thomas Leonard his heirs and -Assigns for ever with all the Benefitts and profitts thence ariseing-Together with all the appurtenances within and upon the same or any way thereonto belonging and moreover the said Samuel and Abigaile doe by these presents Covenant and Promise to & with the said Thomas Leonard that they have good Rightfull power & lawfull authority in their-owne Names to give grant Sell Deliver Convey & Confirme the said eight accres with all its Rights & priviledges as above said and that it shall be lawfull for the said Thomas Leonard his heirs and Assigns to have hold occupie & enjoy the same peacably & Quietly without any trouble or Molestation that may arrise from by or under them the said Samuel Hall or Abigaile his wife their heires or any- other person that may lay any lawfull Claime thereonto or any part thereof for ever, and hereonto the said Samuel Hall and Abigaile have set their hands and seales this seventh Day of february in the year of our Lord god one Thousand six hundred Eightty Six the word (wife) in the third line was before the Ensealing hereof.
The mark of
Samuel Hall (seale)
The mark of
Abigail Hall (seale)
Signed sealed & Delivered
In the presence of us
James Leonard Sen (e)
The said James Leonard, Sen (e) and Joseph Leonard and John Crane took oath that they saw the said Samuel Hall and Abigail Hall signe seale & Deliver this Instrument as their Act and Deed. And the said Samuel Hall and Abigaile Hall were present at the-same time and Did acknowledge this instrument to be their Act and Deed on the seventh Day of february, 1686. In Taunton before Thomas Leonard Assosuate
Thus entered and Recorded the 10th of february 1696 by John Cary Recorder
By admin | August 24, 2008
As we explore some of the Hall/Pease connections in Enfield and Somers, CT I return to the gravestones that mark some of that early history in West Cemetery, Somers, CT. Given that tomorrow marks the Democratic National Convention in Denver where Barack Obama will formally accept the Democratic Party’s nomination for President, I thought it fitting to note the following in our extended maternal history.
Hon. Leverett Erwin Pease, Secretary of State, Born Feb. 14, 1818, Died April 4, 1883
Diligent in business, fervent in spirit serving the Lord
from Political Graveyards:
Somers, Tolland County, Connecticut
Politicians buried here:
• Leverett Erwin Pease (1818-1883) — also known as Leverett E. Pease — of Somers, Tolland County, Conn. Born February 14, 1818. Republican. Delegate to Republican National Convention from Connecticut, 1860; Secretary of State of Connecticut, 1866-69. Died April 4, 1883. Interment at West Cemetery.
Julia P. Hyde wife of Leverett E. Pease, Born Jan. 28, 1820, Died Dec. 11, 1887.
“She stretcheth out her hand to the poor, yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.”
By admin | August 24, 2008
Those familiar with the Hall history will recognize the family names of Parsons and Pease in the manuscript which follows. Many Halls married into the Parsons and Pease families. Indeed, they are in integral part of our early American history.
AN HISTORICAL SKETCH OF THE TOWN OF ENFIELD,
BY JOHN CHAUNCEY PEASE, M. D., 1829.
The first settlers on the banks of the Connecticut generally located themselves in the vicinity of some of the beautiful & fertile meadows that are interspersed along the borders of that delightful river. The cause for such selections needs no explanation as those charming alluvial tracts were undoubtedly disforested when first discovered & had long been the seats of aboriginal cultivation. The inviting appearance of those meadows, the superior facilities which they afforded for immediate subsistance soon peopled these borders while the heavily timbered regions adjacent though of a strong & rich soil were long neglected. Of this last description was the character of the romantic & highly interesting country which lay against the falls on the Connecticut. This tract of country did not therefore become the abode of civilization until near fifty years after the settlements in its neighborhood above & below the falls although it was granted to the town of Springfield as early as 1648 by the General Court of Massachusetts.
The first effectual attempt to settle the land at the falls by the town [of] Springfield was made in 1679, although a few grants bad been made as early as 1674 & a saw mill had been erected at Freshwater by Major Pynchon which was probably burnt by the Indians in 1675.
At a town meeting held August 14, 1679 a Committee of five persons were appointed by the Town of Springfield viz John Pynchon Samuel Marshfield Thomas Stebbins Sen. Jonathan Burt and Benjamin Parsons, to manage the concerns of the proposed plantation at the Falls & at Freshwater.
Richard Fairman was Representative [?] The Committee accordingly held their first meeting Oct. 31st of from Newtown, 1768. the same year, and resolved to make grants of land at the Freshwater Plantation as it was then called, to such of the inhabitants of Springfield as would become actual settlers & to such other persons as should be approved by the Committee.
The conditions of the settlement as adopted by the Committee Dec. 3, 1679 were that the settlers should have grants of land on condition that they should settle their lots within three years from the date of their grants. In case of failure to comply with these terms these lots were to be forfeited & become again the property of the original proprietors. The settlers were furthermore restricted from selling their allotments until after an occupation of seven years.
The Committee further resolved that there should be four sorts of allotments as follows, a home lot & 30, 40, 50 & 60 acres of field land & a proportional share of meadow.
At the same meeting it was also resolved that the first settlers should have their choice after the Committee & ministry lots that the lands above & below the town plot should be laid into common fields.
Grants of home lots & out lots were then made to the nineteen following individuals. Samuel Stebbins, Thomas Gilbert, Thomas Jones, John Merrick, Charles Ferry, Nathaniel Mun, Jonatban Bush, Thomas Day, Samuel Terry Sen, Isaac Morgan, John Pierse, Rev. Pelatiah Glover, Lieut. Thomas Stebbins, Major John Pynchon, Benjamin Parsons, Jonathan Burt, Nathaniel Burt, John Bliss, & Samuel Bliss, all of the above mentioned Persons were Inhabitants of Springfield three of them only afterwards became actual settlers in Enfield viz Jonathan Bush Isaac Morgan & John Pierse.
Major John Pyrchons share was a double home lot of 24 acres & 180 acres of out land.
At [a] subsequent Proprietors Meetings held in the following months of March & April it was agreed to extinguish the Indian title as soon as possible, a grant of land was made to Thomas Bancroft & the extraordinary Grants made to Major John Pynchon were located most advantageously for his interest 50 acres were alotted to him adjoining his sawmill south of Freshwater & it was directed that [his] 130 acres should [lie] next north of the Town Plot & be 50 rods wide on the main street extending from the river to the Plains eastwardly. 30 acres also confirmed at this meeting to Lieut. Thomas Stebbins in Freshwater meadow that bad been granted him by the Town of Springfield as early as 1674 probably the first grant of land ever made in Enfield. At a Proprietors meeting held in July 1680 Grants of land were made to John Pease sen, Elisha Kibbe John Pease jun & Robert Pease who were actual settlers from Salem, The propositions made by the Springfield Committee at their meeting in August 1679 to give donations of land to settlers on such favorable conditions probably induced the two Brothers John Pease jun & Robert his Brother to visit the land that was offered for settlement for the purpose [of] examination, they accordingly came to the tract of country now called Enfield in the year 1679 built them a Hut or cellar in the side of the hill, about 40 rods east from where the old meeting house formerly stood they there lived through the winter alone no other white person in the place. The next spring they removed their families & commenced the settlement, during the succeeding three years they were joined by nearly thirty families principally from Salem & its vicinity. So that Enfield may properly be denominated a Salem Colony.
The first year of the settlement, that is, the year 1680, the Committee determined that the town plat should extend from Major Pynchons field which was about 73 rods north of the present site of the Meetinghouse, about a mile & a half south, the southern termination was about against the Deep hole at the River. It was also resolved that there should be 64 home lots from 10 to 14 rods in width, that the main street should be 12 rods broad, that the home lots should extend on each side 160 rods, either towards the River or eastwardly from the main street.
It was furthermore resolved that there should be 4 public Roads eastwardly into the woods, one from the centre of the town plat or from where the old Meetinghouse formerly stood, one from near the north end of the town the present Somers Road, one from the south end from where the South Congregational Meetinghouse now stands, & the other to the Great Spring near the centre of the town. It was resolved that there should be two roads to the river, one the old Kings Ferry road, the other to the Deep hole from the south end of the town plat. The following year the Committee ordered that the south field should be intersected by two roads running north & south & three east & west. They reserved lots for the ministry, schools and other useful purposes. Grants were made to the following Individuals, consisting of home lots and out lands, Simeon Booth, John Burroughs, Simeon Rumarel, Daniel Collins, John Kibbee, Samuel Terry jun, Thomas Bancraft, Jonathan Pease, Isaac Gleason, Lot Killam, Rowland Thomas, Thomas Hayward, William Booth, Isaac Meacham, John Bement sen, John Bement jun, Thomas Geer, John Farman, Obadiah Abbee, Henry Abell, Joseph West, Samuel Merit, & Thomas Perkins, most of whom became actual settlers before the close of year 1683.
More than thirty families were now settled in the Plantation who were organized for civil purposes this year & chose John Pease jun, the first constable. The settlers being of a religious character made early provision for building a meetinghouse & appointed a committee for that purpose. They established religious meetings [the] following year 1684, on Sunday, the exercises of which were conducted by their principal men until they could obtain a minister. A small meeting [house] erected the succeeding year 1684.
The first birth occurred this year. The name of the child was Margaret Pease the daughter of John Pease jun, & Margaret (ADAMS) his wife. She afterwards married Josiah Colton & lived to the advanced age of 92. She died in 1775. The first person who died in the Settlement was Lot Killam, he was one of the Salem Colonists a middle aged man & left one son.
The settlers had now become so numerous that a Petition was forwarded to the General Court at Boston for the Incorporation of the plantation with Town privileges by the name of Enfield. This petition was granted the consent of the Town of Springfield having previously been obtained. The Limits of the township were to extend from Longmeadow brook six miles down the river & ten [miles] eastwardly comprising the territory DOW included in the townships of Enfield & Somers.
In 1684 the Committee confirmed to Major John Pynchon a tract of land at the southern extremity of the Township including the site where his Grandfather erected a warehouse 48 years before, this tract extended 80 rods on the river & 3 miles into the interior & was bounded north on the Saltonstall or Davidson Farm so called, which is supposed to have [been] occupied before the settlement of the town plat but was afterwards abandoned & forfeited & became the property of the proprietors of the town. A highway was reserved to extend to the river north of Major Pynchons Grant for the purpose of Building vessels & as a public landing. The first selectmen were appointed by the Committee this year viz John Pease sen, Isaac Meacham & Isaac Morgan.
Daniel Gowdy the youngest son of Samuel Gowdy died 1854 aged about 82 or 3. From 1684 to 1691 Grants were made to Samuel Parsons, William Simons, Robert Pease 2, Samuel Osborn, David Bishop, John Prior, Alexander Dobe, Ephraim French, Rev. Mr. Welch, Wm Randell, Joseph Warrener, Thomas Hale, Jedediah Strong, John Trumbull, John Adams, & Edward Whittingham, a schoolmaster; most of whom became actual settlers. The Rev. Mr. Nathaniel Welch the first Clergyman died before he removed his family to the town, be was from Charlestown near Boston, be may be considered the first minister of Enfield, he died 10′ July 1689 aged 23 years. Mr. Whittingham the schoolmaster it is supposed left the Town after a short residence.1 1 [Interlined.] The highway bet. Tery [?] & Robert Peases laid out 6 rods wide to sawmill brook. The Somers line established 1723. Capt John Pease possessed land at Sawmill brook 1712, 60 acres. The highway to E. Windsor by Chapins laid out 6 rods wide.
In 1688 the first Town Meeting was held & the town was admitted to town privileges agreeable to the act of the General Court. John Pease jun. & Samuel Terry were the first select men chosen by the people. The select men bad been previously appointed by the proprietors Committee. A corn mill the first, was this year erected at Freshwater. A sawmill bad been previously erected by Isaac Meacham & Jonathan Bush. About the same time a fulling mill was erected by Capt Isaac Meacham. In 1689 A purchase was made of the Indian sachem Notatuck of all the lands from Asnuntuck or Freshwater River down the Great River to Umsquattuck at the foot of the falls then extending eastwardly full eight miles. The consideration of the purchase was 25 Pounds sterling. The Commissioners who treated with the Indians were Major John Pynchon, Lieut Thomas Stebbills, Deac. Jonathan Burt, Benjamin Parsons, John Pease, sen. Wm Denton, & Thomas Goold, none of which were Inhabitants of the Town except John Pease. The Indians reserved the right of fishing & bunting on the lands after the cession. The date of this treaty was March 1689. Nottatuck is supposed to have been a Podunk Indian & the place of his residence at or near Warehouse Point. In 1691 a grant was made to Benjamin Parsons, Samuel Terry, & Isaac Morgan, of a tract of land on Scantick for the purpose of erecting a sawmill. This grant was at or near the mouth of Sawmill Brook so called. A sawmill was shortly after erected which was the first building erected east of the town plat. The site for this sawmill was near the Distillery on the Somers road.
John Pease supposed from Yorkshire England where the family Name abounds. In 1829 Thomas Rixsons [?] Pease Esqr, bought the Duke of Devonshires [?] beautiful estate & manor of Cleasby on the Banks of the Tees for 36500£ sterling.
After the death of Mr. Welch in 1689 the religious society in Enfield which had been organized as early as 1683 were destitute of a Clergyman until 1699 & the church was organized when Mr. Nathaniel Collins of Middletown reed a grant of the reserved allotment & settled as pastor of the church. In 1766 the second meeting house was erected. Joseph Warrener settled in Enfield 1689, came from Northfield on account of the Indians.
This year the first settlement of the eastern part of the Township including the territory now called Somers, commenced by Benjamin Jones who erected a small house about half a mile east of the present village. He with family resided there several years alone in the summer season. In the Winter he used to return to the old settlement in Enfield. In 1713 four additional settlers removed to Somers viz Edward Kibbe James Pease 1715 Timothy Root 1715 & John Megregory.
About this time settlement of the east part of the present town [of] Enfield commenced, the first settlers were Nathaniel Gary1 1 [Mary Gary.] [Interlined.] D. Mary M. Thomas Whipple 1722. who built a house & erected a Grain Mill near where Capt Daniel Perkins formerly lived, Daniel Markharn who erected a house near where Iron Works formerly stood John Gleason who erected a but near the present forge mill Pond, Gershom Sixton who commenced a settlement south of Scantic near Saw mill brook & Thomas Perkins who first settled in Swamp so called near the place since occupied by the late Mr. Eldad Parsons, but was so much annoyed by the wild beasts that be quit his habitation and joined Gary’s settlement near Scantic.
The first settlers in that part of the town now called Wallop commenced about the same as that north of Scantic, the first settlers were William Bement & Josiah Colton near Buckborn Brook & Nathaniel Pierce Dear where Mr Daniel Abbe formerly lived. The other early settlers of Wallop & the adjacent Scantic hills Isaac Gleason Israel Phelps & Ebenezer Chapin.2.
2. [Interlined.] Thomas Bancroft first settler, Samuel Osborn Do David Bishop Do Alexander Dobe.
A corn mill was erected 1688 at Freshwater. The Iron works were erected in the east part of Enfield by Israel Meacbem about the year 1714.
The Somers Settlement soon after 1713 received a large accession of settlers among whom were Nathaniel Horton, Benjamin Thomas, Luke Parsons, Robert Pease, & Joseph Sexton, from the old settlement in Enfield & Josiah Wood, Joseph Fisk [?], Thomas Purchase, Samuel Felt, Samuel Rockwood, Ebenezer Pratt & Benjamin Citron [Sittan], Joseph Hunt, Thomas & Abraham Whipple, from other places.
The first settlers near the head branches of the Freshwater in the north east part of the town1. 1[Interlined.] Who returned from Somers Settlement. were John McGregory Nicholas Hall John Pierse [?] Lieut John Meacham, Isaac Pease, Ebenezer Meacham, & Gershom Sexton, who removed from Scantic Settlement.
The first minister of the Eastern Precinct was Mr. Allis who was settled in 1727, he was from Hatfield Mass, he *as dismissed in 1747 & died in 1796 aged 91. Mr Freegrace Leavitt of Suffield succeeded him in 1748, he died 1761, there was a vacancy until the settlement of the Rev. Mr. Backus in 1773 who died in 18__. In 1720 forty years from the first settlement the whole township was practically settled from the Connecticut River to the confines of Stafford. The progress made in the extension of the settlement was very rapid for those early times. This fact will appear more evident when the numerous obstacles that the first settlers had to encounter are taken into view. when the Salem Element first came to the ground a bloody Indian war bad just been closed the horrors of which were fresh in the recollection of most of the Inhabitants of New England. The Indians although subdued were yet numerous & troublesome. The whole territory to the east comprising the entire counties of Windham & Tolland was a wilderness without a single European settler. Indeed the whole country east of the Connecticut with exception of some small insolated [?] settlements in New London County & on the borders of the Connecticut below was in a similar condition.
With so many difficulties incident to a new settlement on the borders of such a wilderness the Colony of Enfield prospered & flourished exceedingly the first forty years & not only overspread their own territory with inhabitants but sent forth numerous emigrants into the eastern townships that had then begun to be settled in the present counties of Tolland Windham & New London.
The local situation of the Town plot of Enfield was very favorable to the health of the early settlers a large proportion of whom were living in 1720. There were some remarkable cases of longevity among the first settlers. Thomas Geer lived to the age 99. Elisha Kebbe one of the earliest of the settlers who commenced the plantation in 1680 was 97 when he died.
During the first forty years of the history of the Inhabitants of Enfield their prosperous career in the peaceful pursuits of husbandry in converting a wilderness into fruitful fields in erecting buildings & establishing roads for the convenience of Civilized Society was not interrupted by any great public or domestic calamity, no unusual sickness prevailed or destructive wars to waste their young men by the sword and famine. Most of the first settlers bad the satisfaction of settling their Sons & Daughters on their out lands where moderate industry might provide comfortable means for their subsistence.1
I [Interlined] Great snow storm 1717 Feb 24 all over New England, snow 5 feet deep.
In 1724 the inhabitants of the eastern part of the Township had become so numerous that they were formed into a separate religious society by the name of East Enfield.
The succeeding year 1725 the Rev. Peter Raynolds of Bristol Rhode Island was settled as pastor over the ancient or first religious society after many years of dissention & much diversity of opinion on the subject Of Caddidates for the ministry.
In 1727 the Rev Mr Allis of Hatfield was settled as pastor over the Second Society lie was dismissed in 1747 & died in 1796.
In 1734 the east parish was incorporated into [a] separate Township by the Dame of Somers.2
2 [Crossed out.] Many of the first settlers raised unusually large families, among [them] the following are worthy notice. Nathaniel Gary one of the first settlers of the east part of Town had the extraordinary number of twelve daughters many [of ] whom married & had numerous families. Shubael Geer bad a family of seven daughters all of whom were married & settled in Enfleid. James Pease had a family of seven daughters six of whom lived to mary & have families. James Killam had also seven Daughters most of whom likewise were married & had families.
Highway from Philip Parsons corner through the Southfield to East Windsor settled 1721. Highway from Sawmill brook eastward by Fairmans John Parsons & Eben Jones house settled or established 1720.
The south highway by Gleasons in Wallop laid out 1715.
The north highway by Pierces [?] & Bements in 1723.
The highway from Jones Hollow across Eatons hill in 1723.
The same year the road from Main street near Freshwater eastward by Perkins Bridge and Markhams house at the Iron works was laid out. In 1684 a highway was laid out to the river south of the Saltonstall farm & one acre reserved for the purpose of building vessels & a public highway. In 1740 nearly all the original settlers were dead, very few survived this period. The population of the township had become numerous and bad experienced an uncommon share of prosperity from its first settlement. Secure from local situation they bad always been exempt from the dangers of Indian warfare & their young men had grown to manhood without any experimental knowledge of the privations & ,calamities of foreign or domestic wars. But the case was soon to be reversed. The war of 1745 soon arrived. The successful expedition to Cape Breton was projected. The Youth of Enfield in common with the rest of New England caught the enthusiasm of the times. A large band of young men the flower of the town the pride and ,strength of almost every family joyfully embraced the opportunity to fight for glory. They went off in a frolick without even dreaming of ,danger. The first news their parents had from them was of the most animating character. A glorious and almost bloodless victory had been obtained nothing less than the conquest of Louisburg the key of ,Canada, the strongest fortress in the western world. The shouts of victory now resounded over the bills & through the valleys of New England, every countenance beamed with joy & every heart was filled with the most cheering anticipations, but mark the sequel. The next news from the brave army of New England was [of] the most appalling kind, the fine army which had achieved such a glorious victory were dying by famine & disease by hundreds amidst the inhospitable .climate of Cape Breton. Nineteen lovely youths from Enfield perished in this expedition. When the melancholy news of their fate arrived the whole town was wrapped in mourning, such mourning as it never experienced before nor since.
The following are the names of young men who never returned as far as collected from records & the memory of the aged.
Lieut. John Collins. Elijah Collins [Erased]. Isaac Meacham. James Pease. Thomas Abbe. Joseph Griswold [Erased]. Ebenezer Parsons son P. Ebenezer Parsons son C. Jonathan Bush [Erased]. Thomas Jones. Daniel Abbe. Ebenezer Geer [Erased]. David Phelps [Erased]. Nathaniel Chapin. Hiram Meacham [Erased]. Daniel Prior. Jonathan Bement.
Following persons are supposed to have died in the Cape Breton expedition, Joseph Griswold son of Roger, Hiram Meacham son of Israel, Elijah Collins & Ebenezer Geer. In 175 a very remarkable event occurred in the political history of Enfield which was nothing less than the secession of Enfield in common with the towns of Suffield & Woodstock from the Royal Government of Massachusetts Bay and a union with the Charter government of Connecticut.
As the secession took place without the consent of Massachusetts or any mutual arrangement between the two Colonies and as it is well known that the three townships were originally settled under grant from Massachusetts & bad enjoyed protection of its government & been accustomed to its laws and municipal regulations for more than seventy years it is somewhat surprising that the Inhabitants of the three townships could suddenly be reconciled to the inconveniences of such a procedure without the operation of more powerful causes than were then known to exist. The history of this transaction has never been sufficiently explained to the public, but ancient people of this town assert that Gen. Phineas Lyman was the most prominent actor in the affair of the secession, that the measure was brought about principly by his influence in both colonies. The exchange has certainly been a fortunate circumstance to the Inhabitants of the three townships & if Gen. Lyman was instrumental in bringing it about be is entitled to the lasting gratitude of the people as their benefactor, for it is presumed that no intelligent inhabitant of the three townships is insensible of the superiority of the institutions of Connecticut over those of Massachusetts or has not often contrasted the excellence of our cheap simple & republican municipal regulations with the expensive complicated & aristocratical systems of Massachusetts.
In 1754 the first provincial Census was taken. The population of Enfield was 13__
74 years from the first settlement the population of Somers was The whole population of the original township__.
About this time the Militia were divided into two Companies.
In the French war of 1757-8 & 9 & in the Havana expedition Enfield experienced the loss of several young men. The following eight [?] are recollected by ancient people, the five [?] first at the Northard & the four last at Havana. Dr. Daniel Dwight died at Oswego, 1760. Benjamin Booth Richard French & Philip Simons & Abner Meacham Norman Green Benjamin Fairman David Saxton Dwight. Somers suffered severely by the Havana expedition.
The following persons who were living in the Town, 1760, within the m em ory of several persons now living, 1829, were born before the settlement of the Town at Salem & elsewhere. Ebenezer Chapin, Daniel Markham, John Pease, Ichabod Meacham, John Meacham, Thomas Jones, James Killam. Abiel Bush son of Joshua Bush died at the Northard. Solomon Chandler died at the Northward. Noah Parsons youngest son [of] Christopher Parsons died at the northard during the French war. William Prior eldest son of Ebenezer Prior died 1755, French war.
In the year 1770 the second religious society was incorporated, a meetinghouse had previously been erected about the year 1764. This society was denominated Separates or Strict Congregationalists & originated about the [year] 1750 by separation of a number of individuals from the ancient society.
In 1773 the present congregational meeting house was erected.
A third religious Society was formed in the north east part of Enfield about__. This Society was of the Baptist denomination & had a small meeting house for public worship.
The Meeting house [was] built in 1775. The people of Enfield were nearly unanimously in favor of the American revolution & the Independence of their Country. The most conspicuous and patriotic individuals of those by gone [?] days were Capt. Thomas Abby who, enlisted [?] the first company that at the [commencing?] of the Revolution joined the army at Roxbury, Capt. David Parsons Capt. Isaac Davis died at Somers 1859, aged 93. Hezekiah Parsons, Lieut John Booth who [was] at the surrender of Burgoyne. Capt Daniel Perkins, Col. Nathaniel Terry who was a Major in the Detachment that marched for the defense of New York.
And the following is a list of the persons who lost their lives in the :service of [their] country during that eventful period.
Freegrace Billings the son of Thaddeus Billings died of sickness. John Allen son of__ John killed, Jedediah Meacham son of Ichabod Meacham killed, Benjamin Gaines son of John Gaines killed, Isaac French son of Ephraim French Do, Lieut. Noah Phelps Oliver Parsons son [of] John Parsons.1 1 [Interlined.] It is supposed that John Parsons Brother died in Rev. war. Died of sickness Levi Terry son of Samuel Terry Do, Varnum Do, Oliver Pease son [of] Deac. Ezekiel Pease, Joseph Hall son of Nicholas Hall, Edward Collins son of Edward Collins Esqr.
The Persons principally engaged in the Separatist controversy & subsequently the founders of that religious Society were Isaac Markham the son of Daniel Markham, the Rev. Nathaniel Collins for many years the settled preacher, a Preacher Israel Peace, John Booth, Daniel Brown who removed out of Town, Benjamin Pease, Cummings Pease, & Timothy Pease.
In 1780 the Shaker System of Religion was introduced into Enfield, the first Proselytes to their faith were Elder Joseph Meacham & his son David [?], Joseph Markham, ]Benjamin Pease, Justus Markham, Jehiel Markham, Samuel Eaton, Matthew Thompson, Eli & Elias Pease. The Society of Shakers was first organized about the year 1781 & collected 1785 & the first meeting house erected 17__. [They] occupy 1827 23 Dwelling Houses.
1714 A Road was laid out from Jeremiah Lords to Windsor line, Same year a Road by Garys Hill. 1709 A Road from the North field Town street to Jones Hole through the swamp above the Buryingground. Weymouth in 1710.
A list of the most aged men that have (lied in Enfield since the first settlement of the town:
Thomas Gear one of the first emigrants died . …………………………. 1722 aged 99.
Elisha Kibbe Ditto. …………………………. 1735 aged 97.
Jonathan Bush ditto …………………………. 1738
William Booth …………………………. 1772, 97.
Ebenezer Chapin an early settler …………………………. 1753, 89.
Although Mr. Chapin died within the memory of Inhabitants that are not much past middle age yet lie was born six years before the first settlement of the town.1
1 interlined. Daniel Markham ………………………….1761..88
Joseph Pease …………………………. 1800, 88
Mr. Terry lived to greater age than any [other] man that was ever born in Enfield. …………………………. 1797, 97
Dea. Ezekiel Pease …………………………. 1799, 89.
Dea. Thomas Parson …………………………. 1811, 94.
Ebenezer Terry …………………………. 1917, 94
Moses Pease died …………………………. 1824 aged 91.
Mrs. Sarah Holkins widow of Mr. Joseph Holkins died …………………………. 1814 aged 99.
Mrs. Mary Chandler widow of Nehemiah Chandler died …………………………. 1807 aged 95.
Mrs. Markham widow of Joseph Markham died ………………………….
The oldest females were Mrs. Geer the wife of Thomas Geer, Margaret Colton the first person born in Enfield died 1775 aged 93.
Widow Pease mother of Capt Ephraim Pease died ………………………….
Mrs. Meacham afterwards Bush died …………………………. aged
Mrs, Fisk former wife of Peter Raynolds Esq died …………………………. aged
Widow Roxalana Olmsted daughter of John Abbe died …………………………. 1847 aged 95.
Thaddeus Billings born in Somers 1735 died 1830 aged 95 & some months. Mr Billings died Aug 2d 1830, he left 241 descendants, he could distinctly recollect the Cape Breton expedition in 1745, and was present when the detachment marched from Somers, he was then ten years old, in 1830 in his 96 year he retained his mental faculties so as to be able to give many facts relative to that event.
Nathaniel Chapin son of Nathaniel who died in 1831, died at East Windsor 1849 aged 86 years.
Deac. Nathaniel Chapin died Feb 10th 1831 aged 92. Dea. Chapin was born in Springfield, at an early age he lost his father in the Cape Breton expedition, he then removed to Enfield where he married & represented the town in 1776, in those times that tried men’s souls he was a firm patriot & ardently devoted to the cause of his country.
Levi Abbee the son of Daniel Abbe & grandson of John Abbe died at Enfield 1848 aged 67. He was the last of a numerous family.
Alphabetical list of the first settlers of Enfield.
Note: I have not included the limited genealogical data included in the book. I have included all of the first settlers listed.
First settler 1682 on the 8th lot from the south corner east side, an original proprietor, died without children 1732.
Supposed to be the brother of Obadiah first settler in 1683 on the 11th lot east side north of the south corner, one of the original proprietors of the town died 1728 left children.
Early settler of Enfield in the year 1697, he resided in the town a number of years and had a number of children born in Enfield. His history is unknown. It is supposed he move out of town.
One of the first settlers of Kings Street on the Saltonstall farm so called which had been occupied before the first settlment of the town plat of Enfield. It is suppoed he came from Deerfield to this town about the year 1700, he died 173.9 aged 69 and left children.
married Hannah Burroughts [..............] Street 1700 died 1735.
Settles 1681 on the lot south of the Bridge lane, he was one of the Committee that petitioned for the incorporation of the town about the year 1687 , [He] died 1684 in Enfield.
First settler on the lot now occupied ny his descendants. He came to the settlement in 1682 and died 1684, left 3 sons.
First settler 1680 on the 4th lot of the Ferry lane west side died soon after he came to the settlement left 2 sons.
First settler 1680 on the 4th lot west side upper end of the Town – afterwards north of Freshwater – died 1739 aged 89, had 2 sons.
First settler 1680 on the 5th lot south of Ferry – died 1691 aged 42.
[Above as to John Burroughs is crossed out]
First settler on the lot south end of the town plat west side. Died 1690 aged 42 left one son Nathan who removed to Brimdield Mass.1
[Above as to Daniel Collins is crossed out]
1 Interlined. Rev. Samuel Whitinh of Windham died at Enfield 1725 aged 55 and is buried in Enfield Burying ground. COLLINS, Nathaniel, Rev.
First settled minister of Enfield, received the ministerial allotment in1700, married Alice Adams 1701 died 1756.
Was the son of George Colton who came from Windsor to Longmedow – and early settler of Enfield- died 1713 aged 65- left a number of sons.
b. 1666 one of the early settlers of Enfield came from Andover 1723 & purchased a tract of 700 acres of land in the northwest of the town, he died 1737 aged 70, left 4 sons.
An early settler near Scantic was the son of Japhet Chipin of Springfield, he married Ruth Jones of Northhampton, died 1772 aged 97. left 11 sons
Son of Thomas Chapin of Springfield and Grandson of Japhet Chapin was born 1777 m. Sarah Abbey daughter of Thomas Abbey- settled in Enfield, died at Cape Breton 1746- left 3 sons.
First settler on the 7th lot north of the lower end of the Town east.
First settler near the north end of the Town plat afterwards on the lot north of the burying ground – died 1716.
An early settler near the Freshwater.
First settler on the lot now owned by Nathanil Prior – died 1998 aged 44.
First settler on the 4th lot north of the town plat west side- died 1722 aged 99 – left one son.
An early settler on the upper lot of town plot west side.
An early settler on the south lot east side of Town plot-afterwards one of the first settlers of Somers. Sons
AN early settler near the south part of the town east side- died 1734- had 3 sons.
A first settler on the 4th lot south of the Somers Road east side.
First settler on a lot near the middle of the Town west side died 1735 aged 97 left 4 sons.
First settler on the lot south of Ferry lane died 1683 the first person who died in Enfield aged between 40 & 50.
One of the first settlers in the east part of Town on the Iron works lot so called.
m. Hannah Pease d. of Robert Pease 1712, first settler in Somers, afterwards removed to the sawmill brook lot from thence he removed to the head of Freshwater, he left 2 sons
First settler on the upper lot east side died 1715 left 7 sons.
One of the Proprietors Committe died at Springfield soon after the settlement of the Town left sons who settled in Enfield.
Settled in Enfield on the great South field 1697, living 1747 had 5 sons.
From Salem Mass. first settler 4th lot north of Ferry land in 1680.
PEASE, Robert 2nd.
From England was admitted an Inhabitant of Enfield 1687-alive 1731.
From Ipswich Mass. first settler on the – lot from the north end of the town east side.
Was admitted an Inhabitant of Enfield 1886.
First settler on the 6th lot [south of] Ferry Lane – Died 1738 aged 79 left sons.
First settler on the hill north part of E. Windsor & died 1706 between 70 & 80_.
First settler on the – lot from the upper end town west side.
« Previous Entries Next Entries »